Welcome to the official website of St Georges & Priorslee Parish Council
ST GEORGES & PRIORSLEE PARISH COUNCIL
Please note that during August the Parish Centre will only be open on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
The weekly drop in Thursday Coffee Mornings will continue as usual, apart from Thursday 7 September when we have an election.
NOTICE OF ELECTION
Telford & Wrekin
Election of Parish Councillors
for Parish Ward listed below
St Georges and Priorslee Parish (St Georges West Ward)
Parish Number of Parish Councillors to be elected
1. Forms of nomination for the Parish Election may be obtained from Clerk to Parish Council or Darby House, Lawn Central, Overdale, Telford, Shropshire, TF3 4JA from the Returning Officer who will, at the request of an elector for any electoral area prepare a nomination paper for signature.
2. Nomination papers must be delivered to the Returning Officer, Darby House, Lawn Central, Overdale, Telford, Shropshire, TF3 4JA on any day after the date of this notice but no later than 4 pm on Thursday, 10th August 2023.
3. If any election is contested the poll will take place on Thursday, 7th September 2023.
4. Applications to register to vote must reach the Electoral Registration Officer by 12 midnight on Monday 21 August 2023. Applications can be made online: https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote.
5. Applications, amendments or cancellations of postal votes and amendments or cancellations of proxy votes must reach the Electoral Registration Officer at Darby House, Lawn Central, Overdale, Telford, Shropshire, TF3 4JA by 5 pm on Tuesday, 22nd August 2023.
6. New applications to vote by proxy at this election must reach the Electoral Registration Officer at Darby House, Lawn Central, Overdale, Telford, Shropshire, TF3 4JA by 5 pm on Wednesday, 30th August 2023.
7. Applications for a Voter Authority Certificate or an Anonymous Elector’s Document valid for this election must reach the Electoral Registration Officer by 5 pm Wednesday 30 August 2023.
Applications can be made online: https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-photo-id-voter-authority-certificate
8. Applications to vote by emergency proxy at this election on grounds of physical incapacity or for work/service reasons must reach the Electoral Registration Officer at Darby House, Lawn Central, Overdale, Telford, Shropshire, TF3 4JA by 5 pm on Thursday, 7th September 2023. The physical incapacity must have occurred after 5 pm on Wednesday, 30th August 2023. To apply on the grounds of work/service, the person must have become aware that they cannot go to the polling station in person after 5 pm on Wednesday, 30th August 2023
Dated Monday 31 July 2023
Printed and published by the Returning Officer, Darby House, Lawn Central, Overdale, Telford, Shropshire, TF3 4JA
The Parish Centre is usually open between 9 am and 3pm from Monday until Thursday. If you are making a special journey please phone first on 567700 to check if the Parish Centre is open.
About the Parish Council
St Georges & Priorslee Parish Council was elected in 1988 when Telford and Wrekin Council created eleven new parishes as part of the formation of Telford New Town in Shropshire.
Both St Georges and Priorslee had formerly been mining communities and in 1988 the total electoral register for the combined area stood at 3,400.
The Lilleshall Company engineering works had been the major employer for the area. They were established in the mid19th Century. The New Yard was an important industry making blast furnace blowing engines, pumps, locomotives, winding engines and engines for mills of all kinds. The company closed in the mid 1970’s.
With the formation of the new parish, eleven councillors were elected from a nomination list of twenty three. Today, the electorate totals 8,747 and there are still development plans for further housing in the pipeline.
There are a total of three primary schools and one Senior School which opened in 2016 within in the parish.
In 2015/16 the Parish Council commissioned a Community Survey to be conducted to gather the views of the Parish. The results enabled the Parish Council to gain an up to date insight in to the needs of the local community and recently completed a Parish Plan document, which has now formed the basis for the community development for the future.
St Georges Parish Centre is based in Grove Street, St Georges and is comprised of a Parish Office, a meeting room, a kitchen and toilet facilities including a disabled facility. The facility is available for hire by the community.